Employer of abductees speaks out

by |
The employer of three Australians who were kidnapped alongside a Kiwi co-worker has publicly addressed the shocking incident, saying the company is offering as much support as possible.

"Our men have been through a traumatic experience, and we have mobilised medical and other support teams in Nigeria to provide immediate support," said Sy van Dyk, CEO of Macmahon Holdings.

Seven employees from the mining company were abducted near its operations in Calabar, Nigeria on Wednesday 22 June after their local driver was shot and killed.

Earlier this week, the company confirmed five of the men were injured, two of them seriously – all are receiving attention from a team of medical specialists. The two uninjured men are also undergoing medical assessment.

“Our team has worked around the clock in locations around the world to bring them home and I am so proud of the dedicated and professional work they have done,” said van Dyk, before praising the men’s families as well as the Nigerian, Australian, and New Zealand authorities.

“We are very grateful for the professional support we have received from the authorities on the ground in Nigeria,” he said. “The assistance of local and federal agencies has been invaluable.

“I also thank the men’s families for working so closely with the company during what has been an extremely difficult time for them as well. They too have endured an incredibly stressful experience.

“This has been an incredible team effort and our highest priority now is to finish the job by continuing to work together to get our people back safely to their families and homes,” he added.

More like this:

National MP accused of workplace bullying

How can HR take a more strategic role?

Pencils down for JPMorgan staff 
 

HRD Forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Name (required)
Comment (required)
By submitting, I agree to the Terms & Conditions